Thursday, November 8, 2012

Election 2012

At times living in DC this semester instead of Columbus left a sour taste in my mouth. Facebook newsfeeds constantly remind me of the free concerts and presidential rallies I'm missing back in Ohio but  at the end of the day I wouldn't trade these events for my experience in WAIP. My time spent in Washington has confirmed my enthusiasm for public service and desires to stay engaged in DC. Working at a federal agency, I feel incredibly lucky getting to meet many individuals passionate for civil service and it made me feel extra involved in this election. Granted it was my first presidential election I could vote so I might have been overly excited to participate anyway. It was a little weird voting absentee and I missed not getting my hard-earned sticker. 


I wish I could stay another semester here and experience the start of a new presidential term, something I'm jealous for the Spring 2013 WAIP fellows. There is something unique about following politics at your nation's capitol and interacting with political appointees at the agency during election season. The focus of forums, events, and general activity of this city truly revolves around decision makers. Greatest aspects of being the Autumn 2012 WAIP fellow would be an unforgettable time celebrating at the White House this past Tuesday night. Never have I felt more important to be an Ohio voter and I was very pleased that it didn't take too long to find fellow buckeyes among the throngs of the celebratory crowds. O-H! 

- Amber Seira

No comments:

Post a Comment