Saturday, November 3, 2012

There’s so much room for activities!


When applying for this program a warning should be issued about how many people will want to come visit you and your roommates. It seems that our apartment has a revolving door, which I don’t mind considering I grew up with one during my childhood. But it seems that there are always friends, family, or significant others swinging by for the weekend. This of course gives us a great excuse to do all of the touristy things in DC like visiting the monuments and strolling around the mall seeing different Smithsonian museums. I can’t help but be grateful for these visits because it gives me the opportunity to meet other people and have adventures all over the city, two things of which I enjoy. Of course we tend to bring our guests along during our usual weekend activities which include going to the Ohio State bar called Rhino in Georgetown for the games and spending at least one morning in Eastern Market. While having guests here I have had the opportunity to see the Lincoln, Jefferson, Korean War, and WWII memorials. Then there were tours of the White House Gardens and Capital (working in a Congressional office can have its perks) with a short visit to the new exhibits in the Library of Congress.

One advantage to having friends visit is having access to a car, which is nice and allows you to go places in the city that are not metro accessible. I was lucky enough to go to Annapolis with my friend and cousin for a Livingston Taylor show (he’s James Taylor’s brother for those who don’t know him, and if you don’t know who James Taylor is shame on you.) It was about a 45 minute drive and while I did not explore the Naval Academy, I’ve heard it’s worth the trip. I would encourage anyone coming to dc for the spring semester to urge your friends to visit and make yourselves explore all the different things to do in DC. On any given weekend there is an event or festival of some sort. The possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so who is the Livingstone Taylor fan? Maggie, Paige, or Grace?

    ReplyDelete