Tuesday, July 29, 2014


While you’re living and working in Washington, D.C. for only three months it can be overwhelming to really get to know a city that is full of so many things to see and do! As the summer comes to a close, I can successfully say that I saw only a fraction of the awesome things that this city has to offer. However, the reason I experienced such a wonderful fraction was because I chose to experience D.C. through something I love – running. This summer I set a goal to run 100 miles in Washington and while I was (quite literally) chasing that goal, I gained so much more along the way. I ran my 100th mile on Sunday night and inadvertently finished it with the most beautiful view. Instead of boring you with my rambling for the rest of this blog post, I want to share some of the fun things I saw over my 100 miles this summer!

This is a picture of the Capitol that I took from the mall on my first night in Washington. It's crazy that this was almost 3 months ago! 

One of the first times I accosted a stranger to take a picture of me after a run. I hope Abraham Lincoln didn't mind the sweat…

Even the Capitol Police horses need some water. The horse on the right nuzzled me every time I tried to get a drink of water. By far the best water break I ever took this summer!
 (Needless to say, these horses are now my best friends for life.)

By far the most fitting picture I took with my running shoes on.  I wish I would have explored running downtown a little more! 

Sometimes it rains. And it's always fun - as long as you prepare and keep your phone in a ziplock bag.

Mile 100. On the bridge to Arlington with the Lincoln Memorial behind me.  
Pro Tip: Ask the stranger taking your picture to count down…or just make this face like me.



To anyone coming to D.C. for one day or for a lifetime, I wholeheartedly recommend that you pick something you love, whether it be theatre, food, architecture, or whatever else, and find a way to experience Washington through that passion. I guarantee you will not regret it!

Next time I come to D.C. I'm probably going to do a Dunkin' Donuts tour of the city…and maybe I'll run a few more miles for good measure.

- Tori Mahoney

No comments:

Post a Comment