Friday, December 5, 2014

Exploring the National Cathedral

Exploring every corner of DC was a goal of mine, and I feel I finally accomplished that after an impromptu trip to the National Cathedral with my visiting aunt and cousin. After going to the Dupont Farmer's Market -- which trumps Eastern Market, in my opinion -- we drove around Embassy Row and made our way to the top of the hill to the Cathedral.

Late October has to be my favorite time, and the weather this Sunday afternoon couldn't have been more perfect. My family and I made our way up to the observation deck, and spent a good hour admiring the view and learning about the history of our National Cathedral, part of which was damaged in the 2011 earthquake.






The building has an incredible amount of history. During World War II, monthly services were held at the National Cathedral "on behalf of a united people in a time of emergency." Before and since, it has hosted other major events, both religious and secular, that continue to bring together the America people.

That view! 

Up on the Observation Deck of the National Cathedral.

This area is one of my favorites in the District. Afterwards, we explored the Phillips Collection private art gallery, and explored the Swedish embassy - which looked like an art gallery of its own!


Inside the Swedish Embassy, with indoor water features and an art gallery of its own.


It has been so wonderful seeing so many different facets of this city, and making DC truly feel like home!

- Sarah Montell

No comments:

Post a Comment