Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Two Seasons of DC

November 30, 2014

Visiting the District, one might think, "Oh, the weather is great!" I cannot argue, the weather is nice, and then you realized there are only really two seasons in D.C. Growing up in the cold north of Minnesota and moving to Ohio, I am used to having, if not a bit of each of the four seasons.  Trust me, 70F in November is treat, it just comes as a shock when my mom calls on Halloween saying they have 8" of snow. All-in-all, the District has an warm east-coast summer and this rainy, "cold" half-brother thing they call winter.

This description may just be in the city though. Mid-November, a buddy and I went out to Great Falls National Park. There, I saw the autumn that the city hides.


Straddling the Potomac River, Great Falls Park, this is the place to be active in DC. The park and be an easy jaunt or you can make it very challenging like us. This perch we found above required some serious thought of how best not to fall while climbing. All in all, a great afternoon. Until we failed miserably at hitchhiking to the bus stop- I guess people do not do that anymore.

This Thanksgiving, I decided to see what the District had to offer. First, I could not complain about the 60F weather. Second, through the Waip program WISH housing, I had the opportunity to meet a large group from Turkey. So, we had their first Thanksgiving. Very interesting, learning about their culture, music, and making friends through the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment