Friday, December 4, 2015

Are you attempting to know me?

Even now, after more than three months in Washington, I’m still a little surprised by how many people are willing to go out of their way to help you. My supervisor, my coworkers, and my mentor all effectively threw contacts and helpful advice my way. I was invited out to eat and to happy hours, extended opportunities and offers of contact, and even invited to my coworker’s apartment all as part of an effort to make me feel included in their circles, and I’ve found that they have a genuine interest in how I’m doing.

I remember being told that this is a very network-y, quid-pro-quo city, but it’s a little foreign to me and it still manages to catch me off guard. I know there’s that “Midwest nice” stereotype, but I’ve always found that it manifests in polite distance rather than personal and meaningful connection. It took some getting used to, and obviously still does, but I actually enjoy it.

Christian Lesnek

No comments:

Post a Comment