Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Head in the Clouds

Nine days. That's it. I truly can't believe I'll be leaving D.C. in less that ten days, the semester has flown by. I am so grateful to have been part of this program, not only has the program been extraordinary, but the experiences that came with it. This brings me to the story for this final blog.

If I wouldn't have came to D.C. I wouldn't have been forced to finally step foot in an airport. After seeing the reactions of people when I told them this was my first time flying, I came to realize it wasn't the norm. I've never been on a plane because I've never had the opportunity to. This may sounds silly to some because they've lived on planes or depended on planes to see family/friends outside the country, but truth be told, even I wanted to be on a plane during my childhood I wouldn't have.

Coming from a poorer family I didn't know what a "vacation" was or have any family that was more than an hour away. Not to mention we could barely afford gas for the car, let alone plane tickets. That being said, stepping foot on the plane for the first time brought with it excitement and anxiety. My first trip would be at night with the window seat (lucky I know). As the plane took off we first flew over the brightly light Pentagon. Words cannot grasp the beautiful image that is etched in my mind. As we flew over D.C. I had never seen anything so amazing. The buildings and cars gave off lights that painted a picture in the pitch blackness of the night. I had always heard of people being "moved to tears", but I never believed it. But in that moment, I actually cried because the scene was so beautiful. I felt so lucky and privileged to even have to ability to see this because I knew of so many people who never would. Coming back to D.C. I flew during the day, so I was finally able to see the cotton puffs of clouds, but I have to say the night view took the gold.

I know this has nothing to do specifically with the program or even with D.C. but being in D.C. has taught me there are so many people with so many different experiences and point of views. Not everyone may understand your thoughts or stances because they don't have the same background as you. Because of this, you truly have to go into anything and everything with an open-mind. I've also learned to never take what you have for granted and never be ashamed of who you are or what/where you come from. It brings a unique story to those different from you. While in D.C. or anywhere for that matter, soak it up, get out of your comfort zone, and have fun! We only have one life and no one gets out alive anyway. :)

-Anastasia Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment