Friday, February 26, 2016

D.C. Doesn't Have to Change You

by Daniel Griffith 

Walking to work yesterday I left the house in a grumpy mood, and tired from the week. As I began to get closer to Union Station I stopped to think why I was even upset. And the truth is, I can’t tell you why I was mad, who I was mad at, or what about that morning was any different from my typical day. Never start your day like this.

Instead of walking the rest of the way to the metro and getting to work in a mad and sassy mood, I forced myself to sit in Union Station and think. Week 7 of my WAIP experience is coming to a close, and I’m sure the end will come even more quickly.  While sitting on the bench I fell into an old habit of “people watching,” and couldn’t help but make up funny backstories for each passing patron. After daydreaming for about 20 minutes, I snapped back to reality, and just like that I had a smile on my face.

One of the most important things about this experience is to never take yourself too seriously. Yes, you’re here to grow in many ways, but don’t lose the person you were when you came here. Never be afraid to embarrass yourself. You’re here to learn, and you’ll be surprised how many people want to help you along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment