Thursday, February 25, 2016

It's Only Awkward If You Make It Awkward



The first two weeks here I was convinced that networking and getting “coffee” with people were these inevitably awkward, formal events and that everyone framed in positive light to shelter us. So, naturally, I avoided networking all together. However, once I finally realized that getting coffee with my boss doesn’t have to entail leaving our office and actually going to the nearest coffee shop, my insane fear of networking started to shrink. I am slowly understanding that networking can be personal, and even enjoyable, so long as you go in with a positive mindset. Initially, I was nervous that networking would make me seem insincere, but I’ve learned by asking someone as little as one question about themselves, they quickly take on a much more genuine tone. Also, people in this city LOVE to help interns; I might be exaggerating, but saying you’re an intern in DC is akin to a “get out of jail free card”. I also had this notion that I needed to have my life figured out before I started to meet with people, just in case they decided to interrogate me. Thankfully, I now know that interrogating me isn’t on anyone’s agenda and that the whole purpose of informational interviews is to figure out my life, or at least attempt to.


In short, since I’ve been in DC, I’ve learned that getting “coffee” doesn’t actually mean getting coffee, it’s okay to not have my entire life mapped out, and that networking is only awkward if you make it awkward. However my last opinion might change if I ever encounter a truly awkward individual.

-Sarah Blakeman 

No comments:

Post a Comment