Friday, February 26, 2016

Sole Searching

When I arrived in DC, I was quickly overwhelmed. I was overwhelmed by all of the sites I wanted to see I was overwhelmed with careers and figuring out where I could see myself post-graduation. With a busy schedule filled with work, class, and policy salons, it was difficult for me to find that necessary time to self-reflect and explore. That is why I decided to sign up for the Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Full Marathon.

Starting each day with a run in DC has been surreal! My running routes included the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court, the Capitol, the Mall, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Ronald Reagan Airport, FDR Memorial, MLK Jr. Memorial, Rock Creek Park, and the Zoo.  It has been even more amazing exploring these sites through the blizzard, the hail, the rain, and the occasional 60 degrees sunny, blue-sky days. 

Besides providing an opportunity to explore, my runs have given me a peaceful outlet to self-reflect. I’m able to think about my work as an intern at Polaris Project and the role I can play in the fight against human trafficking. I’ve discovered my passion for human rights issues and the career paths I no longer wish to pursue because of this discovery. I think about the city I want to end up in after I graduate and have come to the conclusion that may not even be in the US. I think about how grateful I am to be in this program, where I am given all of the tools and resources to take on this city with confidence.

I’m three weeks away from the marathon, and I don’t feel overwhelmed anymore.   I run through the streets and trails of DC with my OSU headband in confidence. I even sometimes hear the beloved “OH” from a runner passing by and feel that buckeye support and I am home.



-Julie Manuszak  

No comments:

Post a Comment