Friday, April 22, 2016

Reflections on My Last Day

Today was my last day of serving as an intern in Congressman Hurt's office. I have had a truly incredible experience, and feel blessed to have had this opportunity to learn while helping serve the good people of our district alongside wonderful staffers and interns. Everyone in the office, from the Chief of Staff to my fellow interns, was so kind and appreciative of my work and valued what I brought to “Team Hurt”. I am so honored to have worked for Congressman Hurt during his final term- he is a model statesman, and I've seen firsthand how hard he has been working on behalf of myself and all of his other constituents. I used my staff ID to explore the Capitol one last time this evening before saying the last of my goodbyes, taking time to roam the unusually quiet and empty halls of Congress late in the day after the House had adjourned. As I walked through the old chambers, I got to reflect on how lucky I have been to see the inner workings of the most powerful branch of the most powerful government on the planet- I couldn’t help but get chills as I seemed to do almost every day I got to be a part of our experiment with political freedom. I hope to return soon!

- Jacob Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment