Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Importance of Building Community at Work

I was fortunate to be a part of the Polaris Fellowship, which takes 9 individuals of all ages from all parts of the world, and teaches them how to combat the issue of human trafficking. Though we were all placed in different departments (I was in communications), we spent majority of our time together. Human trafficking is an intense topic, but one that we are all very passionate about. We would watch tough documentaries and have the most amazing discussions afterwards, where I really felt completely comfortable asking any questions.  Besides exploring Polaris together, we went on adventures throughout DC attending human trafficking awareness events on the Hill, watching the Emancipation Day fireworks, and eating at every food truck in the Farragut North area.
Besides building strong friendships with the other fellows, I made it a priority to get coffee with as many Polaris full time staffers as possible. After taking time to sit down and get to know my coworkers, I felt so much more a part of the organization. Everyone knew me and knew my story, just as I knew the staff members and each of their stories. People appreciated the effort I made to get to know everyone that I quickly became the go-to-fellow for organizing and planning all projects and events involving the fellows.  People trusted me and quickly gave me more responsibilities around the office. I became so excited to go into work everyday to see and talk with my coworkers. 

My time at Polaris has helped me develop a clearer vision of what my purpose is and what career opportunities I wish to purpose in order to achieve that purpose. I am so incredibly grateful for the lifelong friendships I have made with the other fellows and coworkers. I’m already counting down the days until I can come back to DC and visit!

By: Julie Manuszak 

6 comments: