Sunday, September 25, 2011

Congressional Fundraiser

On Thursday night, I was asked to attend a benefit dinner for my congressman at the immaculate Willard Hotel. This ended up being one of those moments when you really appreciate living in Washington D.C.

Since Congress was in session last week, I worked from 8:30-6 each day. So, when I was asked to attend the event by my supervisor, I was not overly excited to stay out even later. The day ended and I rode to the hotel with some fellow coworkers. When I arrived, I knew that this had potential to be a pretty amazing night. Located in the heart of D.C., this hotel was the most amazing I had ever seen.

Once inside, there was a hostess at a desk that had a list of everybody attending. She asked for my name and what do you know, my name was on that list. I thought, "Damn, I've arrived."

I found out the benefit dinner was on the roof of the building and when I found my way up there I was amazed with the view. It looks right out into the national mall, a beautiful shot of the Washington Monument. I didn't want to look too touristy so I stayed away from taking a picture but, as I look back, I really wish I would have. I was told that I would work the front desk, check people in, and collect contributions to the congressman's reelection fund. I soon found myself shaking hands and conversing with some of D.C.'s elite and helping my congressman's cause in his upcoming election. It was really the first time here when I truly appreciated what I am doing. I'm one lucky guy.


No comments:

Post a Comment