Monday, April 14, 2014

Inside the Metro



    Ever since I’ve moved to DC, I’ve loved the Metro. Yes I know it’s smelly. Yes I know it’s expensive, but I love trains, and it’s like a land-going submarine in my head, so I enjoy it.
I’ve always been interested in how the Metro works, and have been on a careful look-out to see “behind the scenes” things about it. I’ve learned that the train operator knows when to open and close the door by opening a little window in the front car, then sticking his head out and looking down the whole length of the train. Remember that next time the doors close just as you get to them-they watched you, and decided to leave you behind. I’ve also learned the car with the Operator always has heat or air-con. This is especially nice on the warmer days we’ve been having, or when the train is really crowded.
    A few days ago, I was riding the train out towards Vienna, where the train goes above ground. Because of the light, I was able to see into the driver’s compartment. It was really cool to see how the Operator drives the train, and learn the trains move at over 70 mph! It never seems like it’s that fast when it is underground where you can only feel the train accelerate, but when you start over taking cars on the highways, you get a sense of how fast the whole train moves.
    Because of the light, I was able to get a picture inside where the driver is. I apologize for the poor quality picture, but it’s the best I could do on a moving train. You can see the speedometer, the microphone, and the driver’s left hand on the control stick. On the wall of the train, you can see the door controls- one on each side.  This is why the doors on the right always open faster than the doors on the left, the Operator doesn’t have to get up and walk to the other side of the train.
    For something we consider simple or common, there is a lot of thought that goes into the Metro trains, and it’s impressive that it runs as smoothly as it does. Even knowing all that, I still find myself wondering where the heck my next train is. 

 Ian Seifert

No comments:

Post a Comment