Sunday, April 6, 2014

John Glenn Learning Community visits DC by Cody Vermillion

More Buckeyes filled the District this past weekend as the John Glenn Learning Community made their annual trip to Washington. The time was well spent with friends, old and new, experiencing things that the weather has made it so challenging to partake in the past few months.

The Glenn Fellows had multiple opportunities to interact with the students from the LC and to really get to know a younger generation of Buckeyes that could someday be involved in WAIP. Dinner at the renowned Tony Cheng's in Chinatown was delicious (and free) and was our first opportunity to meet the students on the trip. The informal setting allowed us to talk about everything from internships to classes to basketball. The following evening we all participated in a speed networking event and got to hear the stories of alumni of the Glenn School who now live in DC and have perspectives to offer from the public and private sector.

For me, the highlight of the weekend was a night tour of the monuments. The tour was lead by the elegantly poised Chris Adams, who came prepared with fun facts to share as we arrived to each memorial. Despite being in DC since January, I had yet to see all of the memorials on the National Mall until Saturday night. The World War II Memorial was as breathtaking as always and possibly even more so now that the fountains are on and flowing. For the first time I visited the memorials dedicated to MLK, FDR and Thomas Jefferson, all of which brought me an overwhelming feeling of pride and happiness. The Lincoln Memorial remains my favorite which I can confidently say now that I have visited them all. Each time I ascend the marble steps into his temple, I am blown away by the beauty and elegance it has to offer and what its existence signifies as I read the statement scribed beyond his chair. I definitely recommend taking the time to see the monuments at night. I promise you will not be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment