Monday, April 21, 2014

Interning with Marathon Petroleum Corporation by Cody Vermillion

Without a doubt, I was incredibly nervous about accepting an internship with Marathon Petroleum Corporation for my time as a Glenn Fellow. I had heard of nothing but great experiences from past interns at the company but was nonetheless uncertain about working at a company that would more often than not align with different political values than I hold. However, by the end of my first week of my internship, I had decided that there was really no need for me to worry.

My first few days on the job didn’t really feel like my first days. I was thrown right into the day-to-day activities, not gently placed; which I’m grateful for because the type of work my internship entailed didn’t have time for easing. By my fourth day of work I was already holding my first political action committee (PAC) meeting, providing updates on where the office stood financially with PAC spending and making suggestions on which upcoming events our office should have a presence at. By my second week I was helping coordinate my first executive fly-in as the CEO and senior vice presidents made their way to the District to attend a host of meetings with trade associations and Congressional members. The work I did was very tangible. I really enjoyed being able to see the results of the hard work I put into preparing and scheduling meetings, normally coming in the form of our office being in a better position legislatively or having built a new relationship with a key figure on the Hill.
           
There really wasn’t an aspect of my internship that I didn’t enjoy. Sure, when Congress was in recess things in the office really slowed down, but those days were needed to recoup from the crazy weeks that preceded the break. If there was one thing I wish I had more of, it would be more time on the Hill to see lobbying efforts in full swing. I was fortunate enough, however, to be brought along to fundraisers where I got to meet Democratic leaders from the House, as well as my hometown Congresswoman, Joyce Beatty.
            
The semester really moves fast. Take each day as it comes to you and make the most of it because before you know it, it is time to move back to Ohio. Marathon Petroleum provides a wonderful experience for those interested in the relationship between the private and public sector and I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of political party affiliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment