Wednesday, June 17, 2015

apparently it is possible to catch a cold in the summertime- week 5 Emma Hedges

Saturday: Let me pose a question- what is the best way to start your Saturday? If you answered with brunch , you would be correct. If you answered brunch at Bernaise you'd be both creepy and correct.  Regardless, I heartily recommend it. Olivia and I, because we're smart, ordered the french toast and the ham and brie omelette and split them. Josh and his friend from out of town got the spinach and feta omelette and the croque madame, both of which looked excellent. My french toast was decadent and topped with blueberry compote, the omelette was fluffy, and I'm going to need to track down some brie to try making it for myself. The evening was dedicated to walking around the monuments, we hit the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, and the World War II Memorial. As stunning as they all are at night, we managed to visit on the anniversary of D-Day, so that was particularly special. We ubered back to the house, because we are wimps.
Sunday: Whole Foods. Very hot out.
Monday: Probably sick. Library presentation in class, got some good research tips for subjects other than Anthropology, my usual research area.
Tuesday: definitely sick
Wednesday: Might be dying. Policy salon with Scott Greytak. Scott is deceptively youthful-looking for the very impressive legal career he's had so far.
Thursday: Still dying. Congressional baseball game in the evening after work! Obama turning up for a little while was probably the best part, although watching congressmen run around in their old college uniforms had a serious entertainment factor. Dems won. On the way home we found one of those fountains that just spray up from the sidewalk and pretended to be five year olds for a little while (or at least I did).

Friday: Study tours to Voice of America and NPR! But first, can we talk about how hot it is now? We sweated our way through the Voice of America tour, which was especially interesting for me since they were playing news in Farsi in one of the rooms we went through. I also discovered that I should probably practice my Farsi.  Regardless, we had a very nice docent who was very happy to share lots of history about VoA. We had our second Obama sighting in 24 hours when his motorcade came within 30 feet of running us down after the VoA tour. After a brief lunch break, during which some of us dashed home for a lighter change of clothes (again, what is this heat?), we met up at NPR. Upon arrival we were told that the gift store would be closed by the time our tour was done. Understandably, this was devastating news for some of us (me). I am the proud new owner of way too many monogrammed reusable shopping bags. The colors were irresistible. I swear. Yeah. My shopping bag addiction aside, the tour was amazing. For instance, did you know that not only do the NPR offices have a green roof, they also keep honey bees on it? They do! If I were to do something outside of foreign relations or something, I could probably see myself working there. That may just be my appreciation of their color scheme talking though.  The rest of the evening was spent in a charming state of collapse on the couches. This cough just will not be shaken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment