Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Food Here Is Great!

Written By: Michelle Bennett

The longer I live in DC the more I discover wonderful food places and coffee shops. Last week I was introduced to Astro's Doughnuts and Fried Chicken. A piece of fried chicken and creme brûlée donut on National Donut Day is enough to make anyone's week. I love when people recommend coffee shops or restaurants because it gives me a reason to venture to a new place and familiarize myself with different areas of DC. I am also very thankful for the people that like to tag along on these adventures, because enjoying a decadent dessert is always better with a buddy.

One of my favorite experiences has been studying in the Library of Congress. Initially, I had no idea people could use the main reading room since it was such a large tourist attraction. Studying in the main reading room felt like I was in the presence of all information in the universe, which was very empowering. The Library of Congress is home to so much history and I wish I had time to learn it all. I have also enjoyed trips to Georgetown and to little coffee shops to study and read. It is fun to be in a new city and find my new "regular" spots.

Without a doubt, this city is full of life, but for me there is something missing. People here are ambitious and working with them on The Hill has definitely been motivating. I love the working environment in DC. People have goals and they set out to reach them. They are professional and hard working and I enjoy that type of stimulating environment. One thing that I have noticed though is that DC does not really have a native culture. People are here to work and I can feel that everywhere. I never meet people that are from DC. Most of them are from other parts of the nation -- mainly from the Midwest. This is not a bad characteristic in the least, but to me DC feels like an opportunity, not a home. I could see myself spending time here for a couple of years, but not forever. Granted, five weeks is not enough time to make that kind of decision, but for now this is how I feel and for now I am incredibly happy and grateful to be right here, right now.

I guess DC has "great food" in a literal sense and a metaphorical sense. DC is delicious and I enjoy being here, great food and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment