Thursday, June 11, 2015

Olivia Nejedlik's Blog


D.C. is expensive.  It is by far the most expensive city I have ever lived in, and one of the most expensive cities I've been to (Paris, one day, you're next).  And while it is expensive, I have determined that everything I spend money on in this city is a worthwhile expense.  As my mom says "You're only live in D.C. once", and even while I hope she's wrong about that, I am attempting to live by that philosophy.

The first, and arguably most important expense I have to talk about is the food.  While people are awesome, there isn't much that can make you feel better than a donut from Astros.  Emma and I have begun a tradition of getting a donut every Friday, and while my thighs don't like it, my soul certainly does.  I also love the cool health food places that seem to thrive in this city, and how making healthy food taste good is a treasured skill.  Thus far I have been impressed, and will be extremely disappointed without my weekly Eastern Market runs back in Columbus.

Second, the metro.  It might be kind of gross, unreliable, and always tests positive for a small amount of Bubonic plague (thanks for that fact Katy), I love it.  Taking the metro every morning makes me feel like a real functioning adult, which I'm not, but no one else riding the metro with me has to know that (:P).  While childish, its fun to ride the metro, and think deeply about my life during my solitary rides to the office in the morning.

But D.C. has also made me realize something else.  That the best things in life are free.  Which is super cheesy, but super true.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I had for lunch, but the people I had lunch with.  D.C. is awesome, but this program, the people, and the experiences we are having together make it incredible.  Today, we went to the Congressional baseball game, which was fun.  But the best part of my day was after.  Some of us went to a fountain that shoots water in the fair, stripped off our shoes, and ran in.  We got soaked through our clothes, and walked home smelling of chlorine. While that might not seem exciting, it was carefree, fun, and full of friends.  And that is what I love most about D.C.



No comments:

Post a Comment