Friday, July 31, 2015

DISCLAIMER: this is very cheesy, though very true

As I sit and reflect on my crazy, stressful and amazing summer in Washington D.C., what sticks out to me as the one thing that will have a truly lasting impact on my life are the amazing people I have met and the friends I have made in my time here. Let me preface by saying that the city itself is great. I have loved every minute of exploring the White House, and the National Mall and the multitude of delicious dining experiences here. I would not trade my experience with this city for anything, and I can say without a doubt that I will be back here as soon as possible. But with that said, I will leave DC with the upmost opinion of the people who live here and the people I have met here and become friends with. The friends I made in this program are the most interesting, dedicated, and driven people I have met in my time in college, and I feel so lucky to know them.  Each person in this program has a real passion, and has followed it to Washington to explore and to learn and to push the boundaries. Everyday I’ve spent learning about their goals and their drive has motivated me to further my own. It’s hard to be surrounded by intelligent and passionate people and not feel inspired. We’ve worked our butts off this summer, and we had a lot of fun doing it.
Washington D.C. really is a city of “movers” and that’s why this is the place where things happen. After three months living around the most influential people in the country, both inspiring and powerful figureheads, and friends, I am leaving DC with a renewed enthusiasm to pursue my goals and to never let anything deter me from trying to make the world a better place. My advice to future WAIPers is this: Pay attention to the people around you. Notice their dreams and their drive and let them inspire your own. If others can achieve their highest ideals then so can you.





-Shelby Berger

No comments:

Post a Comment