Sunday, July 26, 2015

Point Of View - Olivia Nejedlik

I'm just going to say it… I found the best bar in D.C.

Yesterday, after a long day of boozy brunches and museums with my Columbus roommate who was visiting for the weekend, history was made.  I had been feeling exhausted, slightly overwhelmed, and in need of Ohio.  While D.C. is amazing, the weather is the worst and the program keeps you busy and consistently too tired.  I had been looking forward to the end of a challenging summer, and the beginning of a school year that, crazy enough, will be more relaxed than these past 12 weeks.

My brilliant mother told me a few weeks ago that when her and my dad were here decades ago, they went to a rooftop bar that looked out over the White House.  Since she told me, I have been on a mission to find that bar.  I told my roommate, Annie, about this bar, and we looked it up and found a bar called P.O.V. on the top of Hotel Washington on 15th and Pennsylvania.  That had to be it.  She discovered that there was a dress code, so we put on heels and dresses and made our way over.

Getting into the bar was an experience in itself.  The velvet ropes and 5 bouncers were enough to show us how way out of our league this place was.  After getting our ID's scanned (yes….scanned) and being directed to an elevator, we went up.

I have never seen such a view.  The White House was lit up, and so close I could see into the side window.  The Lincoln, Jefferson, and World War II memorials were all visible, with the Washington Monument even closer.  You could see all the way to Virginia.  City lights twinkled, and I felt like I had joined an exclusive club of people that have seen the best view D.C. has to offer.

We both ordered drinks, the best drinks I have ever tasted, for the price of a good meal.  Sad, but worth it.  As we stood over the railing, staring into the city that has been my home for the past few months, my love was reaffirmed.  D.C. is a cool place, and I am lucky to be here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment