Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Looking back

Looking back on all the things I have done, how can I go back to the way things were before?


When I accepted the offer in the winter to study and work as a Glenn Fellow this summer, I had no idea what I was signing up for. In 10 weeks and 21 credits (I had to double up with online courses), I was able to make millions-and millions of memories with new found friends in this brilliant city. And man, did it fly by!

And yet, as I write my last post, I am sitting in my springy twin bed listening to Shelby snore as I think about the missed opportunities I had this summer-while I napped, or watched Netflix, or was just to lazy to get out of bed after work from being so exhausted.

ADVICE TO FUTURE WAIPERS: DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 1 EXTRA CLASS IF YOU NEED TO!

I know I needed to double up to graduate on time, but it did lead me to miss out on some amazing things my fellow WAIP roommates and classmates got to do on their spare time. Reading their blog posts makes me a little sad; they got to go to Annapolis, try every single cupcake in D.C., locate the best food trucks, try out new work out classes, find the best rooftop bar, and explore old Alexandria. I could have done these things if I pushed myself, but being overwhelmed makes me very, very sleepy……

ADVICE TO FUTURE WAIPERS: UTILIZE 5 HOUR ENERGY AND COFFEE!

Now, don’t get me wrong, I had the best time of my life this summer. In ten short weeks, I was able to: go to the eastern market every weekend, try out new foods (I like peaches a lot), explore all the Smithsonian museums, attend study tours at some amazing places, do 15+ informational interviews, go to jazz in the garden, witness the marriage equality decision, attend my first pride parade, and go inside the white house- twice! These experiences gave me a taste of all that DC has to offer, and have led me to one conclusion… I. Must. Come. Back.



I am forever changed by WAIP. I am better in every way because of the things I have done this summer, and I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have for everyone who has helped me grow as a person. As I return to Columbus, I will take a new found pride of Washington DC with me, and a new found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment