Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Highs and Lows: Reflections on WAIP


High: My job
I worked at the Peace Corps Headquarters in the Office of Communications, and I loved my job. The office culture was laid-back and friendly, my co-workers were interesting and approachable, and the organization was structurally fluid so I could move around a lot according to my interests. Working in Comms was a great way to learn more about the agency while honing writing and analytical skills. Even if you have absolutely no interest in international development or the Peace Corps, the work these people are doing is really cool. I researched issues of public health, food security, and girls’ education, and I also wrote lighter pieces on cross-cultural exchange and sustainable entrepreneurship. Having a broad scope combined with access to in-the-field sources meant that I was never bored working at Peace Corps. 
Low: Money
DC prices are ridiculous. And they’re ten times worse when you don’t have any money coming in to your bank account. Almost all of my stress this summer stemmed from the fear that I would run out of money.  Fortunately, it is very possible to have a great summer here without spending a lot. If you’re considering WAIP, be realistic with yourself about how much you can afford to spend here. Make a budget, and make sure you have a lot saved up before you leave. To stay in the green, always walk or take the metro, don’t eat out all the time, and ration your “adventure” funds. Make sure you aren’t going back to Ohio with an empty wallet.
High: Maryland
I love Maryland. It’s beautiful, it’s cheap, it’s cool, and its pace is perfect. When I first arrived in May, I spent all of my time in DC. Every weekend I explored some new part of the city, and those experiences were great – I did the Mall, some museums, Georgetown, Eastern Market – but by June, it got old. Day trips and weekend trips to Maryland helped me re-charge. I’d recommend a beach day at Chesapeake Bay, hiking at Rock Creek Park, kayaking in the Shenandoah River, and climbing at Sugarloaf Mountain. Watching 4thof July fireworks over the Inner Harbor in Baltimore was one of the highlights of my summer. Getting around can be difficult without the metro – I was lucky enough to have access to a car – but relying on buses and Uber is worth it when it means farmers’ markets and cheap brunch.
Low: Intern Housing
Living in a townhouse on Capitol Hill is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I lived down the street from the Supreme Court, and from my bedroom window I could see the Library of Congress. WISH housing is probably your best option as a summer intern in DC, but if you want to get work done, go to Starbucks. The WISH Wi-Fi was painfully slow and unreliable, it frequently disappeared in the middle of homework assignments, and by our third week there, it had proven itself to be pretty much useless. When I had assignments, I would go in early and do them at work. I know some people who had better luck with the Wi-Fi, and others who gave up and set up hotspots on their phones, and others who fled to nearby coffee shops. As a general rule, though, I wouldn’t rely on WISH when you have to get your homework done.
High: New York
One of the (many) reasons that I love DC is the access it affords to the rest of the East Coast. After study tours on the day before my birthday, I ran to Union Station to catch a bus to New York City. Spending my 20th birthday in New York was incredible. We stayed in an apartment in Harlem, just a few blocks away from Central Park North. On Saturday we went running through Central Park, walked the High Line and the Brooklyn Bridge, wandered through Chelsea, SoHo, DUMBO, and lower Manhattan, and saw the 2015 Tony award-winner for Best Musical, Fun Home. Sunday was the 46th Anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in Greenwich Village, so we went to the New York City Pride march and festival. Thanks to MegaBus, AirBnB, and all the PB&J sandwiches we packed, we stayed under budget, and we were back in DC on Monday.
Low: Humidity
It’s really bad. Luckily, Michelle Obama made it fashionable for women in the federal government to go sleeveless. I hate wearing dresses, and I wore them almost every day in DC. Bring lots of dresses, skirts, and sleeveless shirts. Buy a bag or briefcase so that you can pack a blazer or a sweater for the office. The hotter it gets outside, the colder it gets inside. Buy comfortable shoes, or wear flip flops to and from work. Bring an umbrella and a rain jacket. Bring a water bottle. Try to get out of the city when the heat gets unbearable. 
High: SCOTUS
I cannot begin to describe the experience of bearing witness to the Supreme Court gay marriage ruling. Colleen and I raced from our study tour at the Fed to SCOTUS, where we met up with my girlfriend and some of my Peace Corps co-workers. It was surreal. I remember hearing the news at the Fed and feeling choked; I was overwhelmed with emotion but unable to cry. As soon as we reached the steps of the Court, Colleen and I both burst into tears. An AP reporter took this picture of us and the next morning it was on national news. It was an honor to be a part of the story of one of the most important days in our history. Standing there, surrounded by people crying and singing and waving rainbow flags, I thought about all the babies born on June 26, 2015 – almost exactly twenty years after I was born - who will never have to live in a world where they are not granted equal dignity under the law. There is still so much work to be done, but that day was a huge step towards a world where we can love freely, without guilt or fear. I will always remember being a part of it.
Low: Not being 21
This turned out to be a way bigger deal than I had anticipated. I knew that not being able to legally drink would make it difficult to make friends. What surprised me were the difficulties I encountered networking. In about half of my informational interviews, I heard something like, “Let’s do a happy hour! Oh wait, you’re not 21.” People from my office would often gather after work at a nearby bar, and I wouldn’t be able to go. If you’re considering WAIP, and you have the option to wait until you’re 21, I would. It will enhance your experience and open more doors for you. People also take you more seriously when you’re a little older. That being said, I have no regrets about doing WAIP as a rising junior. It helped me narrow my focus for the rest of college and it gave me the opportunity to scope out internships for next year. I would have had an easier time had I been older, but I found ways to make it work.
By Elaine Cleary

No comments:

Post a Comment