Monday, July 27, 2015

Wrapping My Head Around the Future

Michelle Bennett

One thing I am particularly grateful for about DC is that it has opened my eyes to incredible opportunities and knowledge. Before I left for DC, I thought I would return with the same goals and dreams; however, with a little less than two weeks left, I have truly never felt more excited and unsure about my future.

A few weeks ago, the WAIP fellows took a trip to Baltimore to tour Customs and Borders. It was a phenomenal experience and exposed me to a very different type of policy that I had never considered studying. I left considering the possibility of shifting my interests to study Homeland Security.

Then a few weeks after our trip to Baltimore, I had the opportunity to have an in depth tour of the Pentagon with other WAIP fellows, by the kindness of Kennedy and her father. That visit was my first exposure to career opportunities in the Department of Defense. I had never thought I would be interested in defense, but after hearing about the opportunities and the importance of working in the Department of Defense, I might want to consider the possibilities. During the presentations, I was also introduced to the Presidential Management Fellows program, which sounds like an incredible opportunity to work in different areas of the federal government and learn so many useful skills.

Yet a few more weeks, I visited Georgetown University with some WAIP friends. We walked around the campus, found the Public Policy school, visited the library, and toured the student center. Although it could not even compare to Ohio State's beautiful campus, it was incredible. I really missed being on a college campus and I realized how drawn I am to the world of academia. I have always loved school and learning. I never want to reach a point in my life where I can feel like I know "too much". After purchasing matching Georgetown Law sweatshirts with Mandy, I left knowing that getting my law degree was something I still really wanted and that I would be very disappointed in myself if I did not pursue that degree.

As I finish my last week in Senator Portman's office, I am overwhelmed with how much I will miss working in a Senate office with the hardworking, goal oriented staff members. Perhaps I will want to return to the Senate or the House and work on legislation. I could really grow through that role.

With far more than four life-changing experiences, I am leaving DC more confused than ever, and I am completely fine with that at this point. I know I have a bright future and know that I will do well in whatever I choose. I will just need time.

I am so thankful for WAIP and for everyone who made this experience amazing. I made new friends, built on established friendships, and found a new part of myself. Big take away? Never stop learning and never stop growing. WAIP made me expand my horizons and look beyond Columbus, OH. I highly recommend this program because it can change you, but only if you let it and if you are not too stubborn to know you need and deserve a change. Also, Katy Hogan a huge reason this program is so successful (not saying this because you are reading this, Katy). She is making students question their careers and helping them find their passions. There is no more important role. Thank you for making me ask myself some hard questions, Katy!

I will miss DC and I might come back one day, but for now I am looking forward to going back to Ohio State and living my Buckeye dream for one more year (at least).
  

No comments:

Post a Comment