Monday, November 28, 2016

A Good Time

By Chris Delaney

This is a story about how my experience at the Department of Justice has reinforced in me the importance of being grateful for the opportunities presented to each of us, and the importance of instilling that gratitude in others through our actions.  Unfortunately, there aren’t any jigsaw puzzles or cupcakes in this one.  But there are tacos. 

On one recent afternoon, my supervisor and friend (honestly, I much prefer friend) at the Civil Division, Gail Johnson, mentioned that she was going to have dinner with two of her clerks from this past summer, Alex and John.  Gail will often have lunch or dinner with former clerks when they are in the area.  She has recounted many times that the federal judge that she herself clerked for early in her career was extremely generous, and inspired her to go the extra mile to pass on that kindness to as many people as possible.  To this day, she maintains relationships with any of her former clerks who remain interested (that’s the vast majority), as well as many of their families.  I could easily just say that they are all merely ‘staying connected’, but after how events transpired on this particular day, I now know that that would be hideously understating what are in fact true friendships. 

I had been staying for an extra hour or so to finish a few last pieces of work for the week with Gail, when she remarked that she would need to leave soon for dinner with Alex and John at District Taco.  Soon enough, District Taco would indeed come, but to meet up with them, it turns out that there was no need to go anywhere. 


A knock on the office door.  Slowly opening it and peeking through, they met Gail’s surprised, then beaming face and rushed in!  Everyone exchanged hugs and I shook hands with both of them.  I had been ready to head out, but there was no way I was going to turn down a chance to meet two fellow clerks and decompress for a while – with a trio of delicious jalapeno tacos to boot!  I just about burned my mouth off, but in the midst of doing so, I got some great advice from John about law school, and we all had lots of fun joking about our experiences.  Tagging along just meant that I was part of the family, with the fully welcoming environment that Gail has been so careful to preserve with her clerks over the years making it possible.  In the professional world, keeping in touch, and really getting comfortable around people that resonate with you, should be on the very top of your list of priorities.  It’s a great feeling when you don’t have to stress about meeting people who have similar interests as you, because you know that one way or another, it’s going to be a good time.  In this case it got me great advice and some tacos, but moments like that could mean the chance to make more friends, or even a job!  It really is an incredible thing that I was able to experience all of this firsthand, and for that I only have Gail to thank.  If I, too, can help make the professional experiences of others less stressful, perhaps I can open up new avenues for others as well!  Foster and nurture a network, and watch it grow, even in places you might not expect.  

From left to right: The amazing Taheerah, the two geniuses, John and Alex, who are practically brothers, Myself, and the one behind it all (and nearly every single photo on the walls behind us), Gail!

No comments:

Post a Comment