Monday, November 28, 2016

Buckeye Love From Sea To Shining Sea

                 When I was a freshman in college I woke up one morning just like every other morning and walked to my anthropology class. I got to class and was scrolling through Twitter and watching people come in to class. I watched as Joey Bosa strolled in to class and took his seat. I watched everyone else take a seat. I kept scrolling through Twitter catching up on everything that happened overnight and early that morning. I kept scrolling until my heart sank at one of the tweets: “Mass Stabbing at Franklin Regional High School”. I didn’t go to FR, but I have friends and family who have graduated from FR. Even though I went to school in Bethel Park, I couldn’t fathom how something like this could happen so close to my home.
You never think that events like this could happen until they happen close to you. FR was close to me, but today's events were even closer. Being a non-Ohioan, I couldn’t really find anyone who could relate to what I was feeling when I learned of the tragic events that happened at FR. When news broke this morning of the events on OSU’s campus I was glad to be able to find people who were able to relate to the emotional roller coaster of this morning. From thinking that it was probably just a false alarm to getting in contact with all of my friends back on campus to make sure that they were okay. I’m glad that I work with so many Buckeyes and that they were there to talk about the events and to keep me updated on anything new that they learned. Buckeyes truly are there for fellow Buckeyes no matter where you are. 
One of my biggest takeaways from WAIP is that you aren’t just part of a Buckeye network as a student or alumni. You’re part of a Buckeye family that is always there for you no matter what the circumstances are. They're there for you in the good and the bad. They're there to celebrate when you finally get an internship offer. They're there when tragedy strikes. They're there through thick and thin. My Buckeye family will be with me no matter where I am in this crazy world that we live in and I’m grateful to at least have that constant in my life. “Time and change will surely show how firm thy friendship ... O-HI-O”


-Rachel Dailey

No comments:

Post a Comment