Saturday, November 19, 2016

Some Candid Advice. . .

From Avery Pierson

WAIP is marketed as a means to live, work, and learn in our nation's capital. I could write a book about everything I've learned, but I thought I'd highlight some of those more glossed-over tidbits.

Yes, it is a bubble.
If you don't believe this, ask any WAIPer that interned in the fall of 2016. We were poised for a Clinton presidency no matter our partisanship. We attended election briefings, refreshed Politico and the Cook Report with election polling and analysis almost all of the semester. Most were prepared for Republicans to loose the Senate, too. All of D.C. mourned for the week following the election. Some due to partisanship, but everyone was reminded of how sheltered this hyper-partisan town is. D.C. is full of people who are just as obnoxious about politics as you are. While that's as wonderful place to live, learn, and grow as you intern here for a semester and feel-out of you'd like to move here post-graduation, you mustn't let it get it your head. Never forget where you came from, and never forget that there's a whole country outside of the 202 area code who doesn't live and breathe politics.   

"Beltway talk" is real and you'll probably fall victim to it. 
Iterations, inside baseball, death tax, k-street, HOB, SOB, mark-up, half-smoke, slug line, safe-track, and *insert any acronym from your internship here*. All of these beltway terms can make you feel like a cool intern and a DCer, but leave them here. When you return to Ohio, no one will know what you're talking about and, quite frankly, it's not that hard to simply explain that you mean house office building or a very tasty chili dog.

[Almost] Everyone else is just as busy as you.
No one cares that you're swimming in briefings, talking points, spreadsheets, or anything else. Of course, complain to Katy and the rest of your WAIP squad, but know that your coworkers or folks you meet and network with along the way are probably busier than you. Quite frankly, as an intern, you're probably one of the least busiest people in the whole town. Just look at your commute, everyone else is power walking too! Don't let your workload become an excuse for not experiencing this city. WAIP is an incredible semester and you are #2Blessed2BeStressed. So stop stressing, handle your workload, and go have fun exploring this city. 

Some people just suck.
As much as D.C. has its charms, it's still a large metropolitan area hosting all walks of life. I've been pushed, shoved and glared. I've been cat-called to the point of changing train cars. I've sat next to an argument that almost came to blows on my morning commute. I've met people who only care about where you work and if it's advantageous for them to speak with you. I've seen entirely too many people scream at a barista over the amount of foam in their latte. Some people are mean, but the sooner you learn to let it roll off your shoulders, the stronger you'll become. Furthermore, being a kind and honest person in this city is not as common as it should be. With that, allowing yourself to exude that "mid-western friendliness" can help you get far.

Call your mom. 
I don't care if you're not homesick. She wants to hear about your time in Washington. I fell victim to feeling like I didn't have enough hours in the day to keep in contact with everyone from Ohio. However, my family needed more updates than I was giving them. Sure, I wasn't home sick, but I was never six hours apart from them. I realized calling her on my commute home a couple days a week didn't have to be for me, but a treat for her. Your folks and friends miss you. No matter how deep in love you've fallen with the district, remember to update everyone from home on this new love of yours, they're ready and waiting to listen. 

Your habits might change.
I'm usually a tidy person who stays up late studying and can at least feed herself a few times a week. I've been surprised to find myself a cluttered mess eating canned soup and in bed no later than 11 pm most nights. It's safe to say that working a full time job along with writing a hefty research paper, prepping for class, keeping plugged into what's happening on OSU's campus, and attempting to see all that D.C. has to offer can really change your habits. I find myself tired earlier, little time to eat (or full from a free lunch or dinner!), and rushing to find the right blazer-blouse combination in the morning before slipping on my flats and running out the door. These changes in my habits are simply adjusting to a more adult-like lifestyle. If I were to operate exactly like I do on campus, I'm not sure I would have been as successful in WAIP as I've been (in my humble opinion). I haven't mastered the more adult-like lifestyle yet, but WAIP certainly gave me a look at what I need to do to adapt to a full time and often busy lifestyle I'll have if I return to D.C. 
Brunch hard, brunch often.
The beauty of D.C. is that you can wake up at 11 and still manage to get an amazing spread of breakfast and lunch options that go until 3 or 4 pm in the form of Brunch. Brunch is a District tradition, and one you should experience. So get gussied up and hit Georgetown or DuPont, or keep it casual in Chinatown or just a few blocks away on Capitol Hill. Each neighborhood has it's own ~vibe~ , and that's reflected in their various eateries. Maybe you're not really a brunch aficionado? That's fine (I'm appalled, personally), but I encourage you to ball-out on Sunday at least once. Treat-yo-self to some Eggs-Benedict, a waffle with maple bacon, or even a pizza with a mimosa if breakfast foods really aren't your thing. There's an entire website dedicated to this meal in D.C., see what it has to offer at least once! 

Columbus is different, cherish it. 
The District is far from our beloved college town. There's quite a different atmosphere than the 614. While I fell in love with it, our nation's capital is not for everyone. Beyond that, no matter how smitten I am with D.C., I'll never forget to appreciate what Columbus has to offer. The Short North and its many different, kitschy coffee shops and boutiques. The Shoe, clad in Scarlet fans screaming O-H-I-O. Construction-filled campus, with bagpipe guy and a familiar face-or-two on your way to class. Raising Canes, Donato's, and Tim Horton's: all of these Midwestern institutions you just can't get in D.C. While D.C. has its charms, unique neighborhoods, and an amazing OSU-alumni network (brought-to-you by Katy), it's simply not the same city. You can (and should) learn to appreciate what they both have to offer. 

Lastly, no matter where you go beyond WAIP, never forget this incredible semester in our nation's capital. Don't lose touch with those incredible connections. Don't take your experiences interning and through study tours for granted, and never forget the brilliant skyline of this city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment