Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Broadening my horizons

Throughout my life I always liked to try something new. I have been in DC for 6 weeks now and I have had a lot of first experiences. I grew up in a small suburb west of Cleveland. In the city where I grew up in there was not much diversity. Most people looked like me, talked like me, and acted like me. The most diversity we had was 1 Mexican restaurant on the edge of town. Washington DC is sure an eye opener to many new things if you come from a place like mine. Let’s just say where I come from I am not usually the minority in the crowd.

A few weeks ago I was able to attend part of the equality march here in DC. That was sure an eye opening experience, one that I respected and was glad to be a part of.

Then this past weekend one of my roommates and I decided to attend Church. Sunday morning we were running late and could not find the Church we had decided to attend. We kept on walking until we found a Church. We rushed in and realized that it was an African-American congregation. I was a bit taken aback to be taken out of my comfort zone so quickly. I wanted to turn around and walk out because I was so uncomfortable since I’ve never been to an African-American service. But I am glad I didn’t. By the end of the service I really enjoyed myself and felt at home. Being taken out of your comfort zone is important to allow you to grow and see many different parts of life that you normally would not see if you stayed in it. I must say that these experiences allowed me to grow in more ways than I could imagine. The time I have spent in DC has allowed me to experience so many things that without it I would never been able to see.

-Terry

1 comment: