Sunday, September 25, 2011

Eastern Market

Before coming to D.C., my friend who attends George Washington University warned me: D.C. folk are foodies! I did not fully understand his observation until I stumbled upon Eastern Market during my Saturday morning run.

I vowed to come back and peruse the produce, flea market, and restaurants later that afternoon, and true to my word, I returned with my roommate Gia and a friend of hers who had recently moved to D.C. We immediately entered a throng of tents brimming with life. From the sterling silver jewelry to the donut vendors, sizzling skillets of crepes and chicken, decadent cupcakes, teeshirts, salons, and a live trapeze artist, the Market was full of flavor, culturally, artistically, agriculturally-with more than enough food to pack our lunches for the quarter.

Gia's D.C. friend had heard that a restaurant called Fred's Bulletin, claiming to have the most delicious PopTarts in D.C. was well-worth a visit, so I sampled my first-ever Peanut Butter and Bacon PopTart, something I wish I had known existed back in grade school.

As we continued our weekend stroll, I was intrigued by the market's charm and was not shocked to learn that it is one of the oldest public markets in the country. D.C. has been described as a city where everyone is from another location, a town comprised of transients. In Eastern Market, however, I felt welcomed by a sense of family and community.

The vendors were proud of their local produce and were eager to let you taste, test, and try whatever you may fancy. The Crepe Man apparently boasts his own Yelp review page, a true sign that Eastern Market is a staple for its Capitol Hill neighbors, a timeless market worth another visit...or five.

-AMC

No comments:

Post a Comment