Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Interaction with my Congressman

When I first found out about the Washington Academic Internship Program, I knew that I wanted to work with a congressman. I also knew that I was nervous to leave my western Pennsylvania comfort zone. With that in mind, I decided to apply for an internship with Congressman Bill Shuster, the Representative of Pennsylvania's 9th Congressional District.

Working in Congressman Shuster's Office gives me the unique opportunity to be able to study in D.C., but to also stay up-to-date with the happenings back home. This is important to me because I feel that I owe this contribution to Pennsylvania. I've grown up there my whole life and I feel that I need to do something to give back. Interning in my congressman's office allows me to give back to my home while also learning the ins and outs of the D.C. work world.

Many of the interns may have been ready to leave their homes and take on the D.C. way of life. However, I was not one of them. I was very nervous about leaving my comfort zone and coming into this new city. Because of that, I knew I needed to do something that would help me feel more at home. Interning in Congressman Bill Shuster's Office has allowed me to do that.

Even though I'm living in D.C., I will never leave my roots. I'm excited to get to know more about this amazing city. Still, nothing is better than your home.

-MJM

No comments:

Post a Comment