Tuesday, September 20, 2011

National Academy of Science (NAS) Panel





Today I had the privilege of attending a public panel discussion at the National Academy of Science, specifically the Keck Center. The topic of discussion was titled, “Panel on the Assessment of Inertial Confinement Fusion Targets.” It featured many top physicists with an expertise on fusion-based energy systems.

I was invited to this event by Dr. Richard Garwin, one of the most prominent physicists and nuclear security experts in the country. I first got in touch with Dr. Garwin in October of last year while doing my own research on Cold War weaponry. Over the years, Dr. Garwin has shared his own expertise on nuclear security and non-proliferation with various Presidential administrations and both governmental and military officials.



Among other things, Dr. Garwin is the known as the author for the original design of the world’s first hydrogen bomb, codenamed Ivy Mike (nearly 800x more powerful than the Hiroshima Bomb). He came up with the design when he was still a student…at the age of 21! I’m the same age and it’s impossible for me to even begin to fathom the complexities that exist in creating something of that significance!


Dr. Garwin E-mailed me the news about this event and invited me as a guest to sit in the discussion. Needless to say, it was a one-of-a-kind opportunity, and since I was still waiting on my internship approval, I figured I would attend!

I arrived at the Center around 8am, signed in, and walked down to the conference room for the discussion arranged for 8:30. As I walked in, I could instantly tell that I was going to be the youngest participant in the event, having noted many of the others were various scientists. As I found an empty seat, I spotted Dr. Garwin across the room, with a coffee in one hand. At the age of 83, he still travels and gives talks on nuclear energy/security.


I walked up extend my hand and said, “Dr. Garwin. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” He smiled, shook my hand and replied, “It’s nice to see you here.” As others filled the room, we quickly took our seats and the panel was underway. The first speaker was from the Nuclear Research Laboratory. He concentrated on a general overview of the HAPL (High Average Power Laser) program, including the direct-drive IFE (inertial fusion energy) technologies, target threat spectrum output, and finally, tritium use in HAPL. Following the presentation we had a short break.


Another group came took the floor with information on the current NRL program for ICE/IFE. Their focus examined target physics, status of the Krypton Fluoride (KrF) laser technology for IFE (inertial fusion energy), and recommendations for an IFE development effort. Essentially, the purpose of this panel was to elaborate on the possibility of creating a new energy source which could generate sufficient amounts of power and be self-perpetuating.


Being a history major, it was somewhat difficult to keep up with all the scientific specifics of the program. However, it was simply remarkable to see how deep people can think when it comes to these areas in science. It makes me wonder how anyone could design and understand such a thing!

Even more so was the opportunity to meet with Dr. Garwin. He’s a man who has essentially changed the scientific world and continues to write/lecture on nuclear security and non-proliferation today. I was able to get my photo taken with him and he exchanged some words of wisdom about the project and my upcoming internship.


Needless to say, the panel discussion was a wonderful opportunity to see technological advancements in motion and the means they are tested and operated. It was projected that this system could become quite substantial in years to come.

I consider myself quite fortunate to have had this opportunity to have been able to go to the National Academy of Sciences and sit in on one of these discussions. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in seeing some of the advancement in society and to talk with those who are a part of it.


KJN --

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kyle, this is awesome! On Friday, we'll expect a full report on the status of krypton fluoride laser technology for inertial fusion energy.

    ReplyDelete