Sunday, September 25, 2011


On Friday, the seminar class headed to the Newseum, a museum dedicated to the biggest news stories of our time (and before our time) and highlighting the work of journalists and photojournalists. I have to admit that it was the end of a long first week of work and by 1:30pm, I was not exactly super excited to go to a museum. However, as soon as we stepped in the door a pleasant staff member that did a little hip dance for us told us about the Berlin Wall exhibit, the 9/11 exhibit, and another one for the FBI. Immediately, my interest was spiked enough that I thought I could make it at least an hour without wanting to head back for a nap.

That hour turned into three as we made our way through the 6 floor museum. Beginning with the Berlin Wall, I learned more in 10 minutes about its history than I have in any class. The museum was donated original pieces of the wall and the story of the whole thing was really moving.

The various original pieces that the museum has collected were fascinating. The electric chair that Charles Lindbergh's baby's kidnapper was killed in, original passports of 9/11 hijackers, the unabomber's shack. It was incredible all of the history that this place holds. And the stories are told through the eyes of news crews which was a cool and different perspective than the traditional museum.

By far the most sentimental exhibit was the one for 9/11. The picture above is that of a piece of the satellite tower on top of one of the World Trade Center towers that fell. It is clearly mangled and destructed; but still standing here in this building. There was a ten minute film that interviewed reporters that were on the scene at the time of the plane crashes. Seeing footage from that day that I haven't seen since the actual catastrophe was extremely emotional. I don't believe anyone left that film with a dry eye.

So, coming from a girl that is really not big on museums, and even less so on a rainy Friday afternoon... I honestly recommend the Newseum to anyone in the area. I would have been at a loss had I not seen it!
-AKW

No comments:

Post a Comment