Sunday, June 15, 2014

Meeting Hillary: A Timeline

9:45am: After traveling to Pentagon City from The Hill via Uber and waiting in line to pay $55 for a Costco membership (wasn't execting that one), I was finally in line to meet Hillary Rodham Clinton. If you've met Andrew Zuk, you understand his obsession with Lady Gaga. As I explained to Andrew, Hillary is my Lady Gaga. I had been practicing my script of what I would say to her, which included a promise to move back to Ohio to work on her campaign if she decided to run, for two weeks at that point. Once in line, I made friends with the couple in front of me and the mother and daughter behind me (this came in handy later when one of them went to get a water bottle and brought a bunch back for the whole group). I marvelled over how diverse the crowd of people was.

The Hillary Bus

About 600 people already lined up


10:30am: They closed the line for the book signing at 1,000 people. Looking at my ticket, I realized that despite having gotten to Costco around two hours early, I was still in the 600's. The Ready for Hillary PAC handed out free posters and stickers, including the fabulous one below.

I'm #READY


1:15pm: I finally entered the paper towel fortress surrounding Hillary (no, seriously. The people in line behind me dubbed it "very Middle America." The Costco employees must have been busy.) I could see her and her aides across the maze, and I was starstruck actually seeing her in person. For some reason, I expected her to look different from the pictures I'd seen in newspapers and online, but that wasn't the case. At this point, I was so nervous and excited that my hands were shaking. The signing was supposed to end at 1:00pm, so of course her aides were working double time to try to push people through, in the nicest way they could manage.

She's up there somewhere!

1:30pm: This was the big moment! As I got to the table, I could barely get my mouth open as her aide passed her a book to sign. She signed it and then passed it to the other end of the table, and I realized that I was almost through without having said a word to her. I turned and practically yanked her hand over, embarrassingly blabbing "Thank you for being such an amazing role model!" as tears welled up in my eyes (like I said, she's my Lady Gaga). I honestly don't remember what she said, but I can imagine it was something like "You're welcome…do you need a tissue? Are you gonna be okay?" or possibly something along the lines of "Security, take this blubbering creature away from me," for how ridiculous I was acting. Just kidding, obviously. But I had met my role model and I couldn't have been happier.

See those shorts across the table? Those are my shorts.


1:35pm: To the left of the paper towel fortress was a little tunnel that led out into the rest of the store. I walked out of it and saw Huma Abedin, Hillary Clinton's top aide since her time as First Lady. I had seen her that morning when I was waiting in line, and Googled her just to be sure. Being the Hillary obsessee that I am, I knew quite a bit about her and her relationship with Hillary, and I knew that she was Hillary's Chief of Staff and would probably have an integral role in her potential 2016 campaign. So, I decided I had nothing to lose. I walked up and introduced myself, and thanked her for being in DC and making my summer! I explained that I am a huge supporter and wanted to help out in any way that I could was Hillary to run, considering Ohio's importance in the election. I was nervous about seeming too bold or presumptuous by giving her my business card, but I was lucky enough that she saw it in my hand and asked me for it! Even though I probably sounded like a babbling idiot, my fingers are crossed that I'll get an email in a few months from someone on Team Hillary asking for my help. 

No matter what comes (or doesn't come) of my interaction with Ms. Abedin, Saturday was an incredible experience and one that will surely be a favorite memory from this summer. I met other supporters of all different stripes in line and bonded with them over shared ideas and passion (and cold water bottles on a 85' day). I shook hands with the woman who has inspired me since she was my senator from New York. And I was able to express my appreciation to another woman I've admired, and whom will possibly (however unlikely) be a great connection to a future job! Lessons learned: don't be afraid to get out there and do something by yourself, and you have nothing to lose by trying to network!

--Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment