Sunday, June 15, 2014

Run D.C.


Spending time outdoors has always been one of my favorite things to do.  Although DC’s swampy summer humidity is overwhelming at times, this has not stopped me from being outside as much as possible.  One of the best ways to both explore the city and get a little vitamin D is running, and since I’m beginning to train for my first-ever marathon, I need to run pretty frequently! I’m very lucky to have a soccer superstar for a roommate who loves running too and sets a fast pace.  Together, we’ve been hitting the streets of Capitol Hill and beyond to experience a good run in a whole new way.
            One of our favorite routes takes us to the center of it all, the White House.  It is only about two miles from where we are staying on Constitution Avenue on the Hill.  The first time we wanted to visit America’s most famous address, it was only a few days into our stay in DC, and we definitely got a little lost on what we now know is now a very straightforward course.  We were looking everywhere for the White House and even saw signs and plenty of tourist busses, so we knew we had to be close.  Suddenly, we turned around and realized it had been right behind us the whole time—oops!  Now I’ll always remember how to get there.
            It’s also a unique experience to run through the National Mall.  Sometimes it’s hard to stay away from all the ice cream trucks that line the streets, but we are usually able to remain focused on the trek across the gravelly path, bobbing and weaving through pedestrians and locals alike who stroll along at all times of day.  Monuments on either end make for a picturesque and patriotic view, an inspiring way to keep motivation high even when oxygen level and stamina might be low. The grassy areas are great for a stretch break and a rest, too.
            One anomaly I’ve noticed about running on the Mall, however, is that I always feel like I am closer to reaching the other side or the next landmark than I actually am.  From our apartment building to the Capitol to the Washington Monument is about two miles, but that last mile always stretches itself out along the vast openness of the mall.  This especially happens on the way back to The Congressional.  At first, one might not think there is much of a “hill” to Capitol Hill. But my roommate, Becca, and I, along with many other DC runners, have surely found out the hard way that there is most definitely a hill, and it hurts when the only way home is up on the back half of a long run.
            Needless to say, running in a new city has been one of the most memorable parts of being in DC so far for me.  It’s something so special to run alongside such meaningful pieces of our country’s great history. Whether on a weekend morning, an evening after work, or any time in between, there is almost always a great time to take a run through Capitol Hill and the beautiful surrounding areas.  I know I will always remember these experiences and carry them with me on future runs in whatever new city I find myself in, especially in October when I’m putting my summer training to use during the Columbus Marathon.

The monuments are beautiful at night!

(Necessary White House selfie with Becca)

Thanks for reading (:
-Ellie LeBuhn

No comments:

Post a Comment