Monday, June 16, 2014

Pat’s Guide to Eatin’ Good in the Neighborhood


Growing up in suburban Cleveland, my culinary expertise reached its peak in early kindergarten when I first enjoyed a family dinner at Applebee’s. Since that historic meal, the “Bee’s” as I’ve come to call it, has been my favorite fine diner. In fact, I’ve judged all other places of dining on their ability to taste as good as Applebee’s.

However, this summer when I was informed that there was a grand total of ZERO Applebee’s restaurants in the District of Columbia, I was forced to make a decision. I had to decide whether I pack up my bags and head home OR stay in the city and expand my taste buds’ limited vocabulary by “trying new things.” When push came to shove, I chose the latter.

Thus, I have used my experiences to publish this elaborate set of awards, honoring some of the best establishments in town. To any fellow intern looking to “Eat Good in the Neighborhood”, I am happy to supply you with these valuable tips.

1.    Best Homemade Meal of the Summer

Sixth Floor Tacos by Marcella Hoard

      Aniello Miele, best known for his stints on Hell’s Kitchen and Sharktank, has a reputation all across DC for making the best chicken fries in town. I’ve had the opportunity to try these and I must admit they really please the taste buds. Nevertheless, I must give the best homemade meal in DC award to Marcella Hoard for her tacos. Although I’ve only been able to enjoy these delicious pastries once, I cannot deny the flavor and zest they are equipped with. If it is ever taco night, I highly suggest stopping by the sixth floor of WISH housing and enjoying some of these wonderful tacos.

2.    Best Combo Meal in Town

FUEL Pizza’s Two Slices of Pepperoni and Breadsticks (with a complimentary softdrink)

      While there has been much debate in my mind regarding the recipient of this award, I’ve decided to honor Fuel Pizza & Wings. Their menu offers a fantastic variety of carb-loaded goodies, including their self proclaimed “Best Wings in Town.” With over 8 combos to choose from, consisting of pizza, wings, breadsticks and drinks, FUEL knows how to make a DC intern feel special for an affordable price.

3.    The “When I Have A Job That Actually Pays Money I’m Going to Come Back Here” Award

Old Ebbitt Grill (15th Street NW)

      Despite several great competitors, this prized honor must be given to the Old Ebbitt Grill. Located scenically close to the White House, Old Ebbitt is a DC legend. Just sitting in Old Ebbitt for five minutes, it is evident that the place has been frequented by some of DC’s most powerful people. Though the prices are almost as steep as the National Debt, Old Ebbitt Grill is definitely a place young professionals should treat themselves to when they land their first full-time job.

4.    The “Wait, I just paid $16 for this?” Award

Shake Shack (Gallery Place – Chinatown)

     Although Shake Shack is unbelievably delicious, the food-per-dollar ratio is remarkably low. For anyone unfamiliar with the food-per-dollar ratio, it is a metric I invented that determines how much food is received per dollar spent. This ratio is by no means scientific; and unfortunately for Shake Shack, paying $16 for a burger combo is by no means good for anyone’s wallet.

5.    The Prestigious “Best Meal on Wheels” Award

Chick Fil’ A truck (Farragut Square)

      Finally, the time has come to announce the “Best Meal on Wheels” Award. For anyone working near K Street, food trucks are a daily phenomenon. With everything from Korean Burritos to Italian Pasta dishes, it can sometimes be difficult for a hungry intern to decide what’s best. Well, I am happy to say that Chick Fil’ A’s “Chicken Mobile” is the winner. The  "Chicken Mobile” offers that same mouthwatering taste, at a location extremely convenient for its loyal customer base. The Original Chicken Sandwich is alive and well in DC.


The Award-Winning Chick Fil' A truck serving it's loyal customers in Farragut Square.


It is my great hope that anyone struck with culinary adversity, like I was, takes a look at this list and is inspired to try something new. DC has a lot to offer and taking advantage of it all can be a very rewarding feeling.

Finally, I’d like to apologize to you, Mrs. Obama, if you are reading this. I know that you are a big follower of the WAIP blog and I truly am sorry for these awards including zero “healthy alternatives.” I will be sure to work on that for my next edition.


Bon Appétit,

Pat Lipaj




No comments:

Post a Comment