Thursday, October 6, 2016

I Promise, Being a "Yes" Intern Actually Goes a Long Way

Upon getting accepted into WAIP, I wasn't quite sure of where I would end up interning. As an Office Page in the Ohio Senate and a campaign intern for Rob Portman, it was easy to take the comfortable route and become a Hill intern. However, with the help of Katy, I branched out and say "yes" to trying for a lobbying internship. I applied a few places, but when Katy suggested Nucor's Public Affairs division, a steel company with many technical details that read like another language to me, I decided to just say "yes." I come from a family of manufacturing, but I had no idea what a trade association or trade law was or the difference between hot and cold-rolled steel. I was in over my head, and the experience I had in Columbus didn't quite seem to align. 

Yet, I got hired. Now, a month into interning for the lobbyists of the nation's largest steel producer and recycler, I could not be happier. Most of my experience I've gained thus far has simply been from having an open mind and saying "yes" to challenges. I've looked into trade laws without taking a anything beyond micro-econ or basic Foreign Policy. I've been to Hill meetings on everything from infrastructure to employment to customs regulations. Was I truly prepared for any of these meetings? Absolutely not, but I wrote everything down that each lobbyist and staffer said and asked questions later. Experience now and question later is a common theme I've learned from my bosses. As an intern who's only in this magical city for a semester, say "yes" to the opportunity and analyze the significance r later. Even if its the most boring or confusing meeting ever, attend and take great notes to get some takeaways from everything you can. 

Beyond Capitol Hill, saying "sure", "okay" and "absolutely" has led to conference calls with leaders in steel, amazing fundraisers, a tour of our law firm, meeting CEOs, Chamber of Commerce briefings, Cook Report election updates, meals with Congressmen, trips to Birmingham and Baltimore, and overall an incredibly holistic view of the city. From these meetings, I've met staffers that I've later chatted about Hill careers with over coffee. I've met other lobbyists, strategists and lawyers in the industry that could be potential employers. Most importantly, I've gotten a true taste of what it's like to lobby. As an intern willing to "go" and "do" almost anything, I get experience beyond researching issues and preparing briefing binders. By putting my desk work to the side and gleaning as much as possible in and outside of the office, I've seen what it takes to be a lobbyist in D.C.. Will I work in the steel industry? Maybe, but what I've learned in this internship translates far beyond the manufacturing industry. 

If anything, my experience thus far shines a bright and encompassing light on Katy's advice to WAIPers at orientation: Be a "Yes" Intern. Taking on extra projects, spending a little extra time in the office if an employee needs to get a deliverable out by 7 pm, asking to sit in on that call or that meeting, and simply grabbing your things and heading out when offered the chance to go to a hearing, briefing, ruling, tour, meeting, or fundraiser will pay you back tenfold as an intern. This is a small city that moves quickly with incredible intimidation and as an intern from Ohio, it can seem very exclusive. The quickest way to burst the D.C. bubble is to get your foot in any door you can, and I couldn't fathom an easier way than by simply saying "yes."

So to potential and incoming WAIPers, be willing to say "yes" to almost any opportunity that comes your way: applying, interning, and D.C. on the whole. With a strong work ethic and willingness to go the extra mile, opportunity will be handed to you as a young and aspiring intern: use that to your advantage, and this city is yours. ~Avery Pierson


No comments:

Post a Comment