Thursday, October 6, 2016

FMS and the lovely world of military acronyms

I just started my permanent internship this week at Alion Science and Technology which is a US government defense contractor. I work on Foreign Military Sales (FMS), specifically on a contract with the navy selling undersea weapons. I never grew up interested in the military nor do I really know anything about the military. Until now. I just finished my first week at Alion and I’ve already learned so much about the military.
I’ve been doing a lot of training on foreign military sales and security cooperation in general. One of the problems that I’ve encountered is the countless number of acronyms. There’s an acronym for almost EVERYTHING in FMS, between Letters of Request (LORs – not to be confused with a Letter of Recommendation) and Letters of Offer and Acceptance (LOAs), that it’s almost impossible to remember all of them. I was finally able to secure a list of common acronyms and thought that I might be able to figure everything out. Until I started my newest training module. I was reading through and trying to understand everything to the best of my ability when I encountered “LOA”. I read over it and was confident that I had understood until I realized what I was reading didn’t make any sense. Turns out there’s multiple LOAs in the world of defense contracting acronyms. LOA can also stand for Line of Activity. Mind = Blown. I thought I was getting the hang of things until BAM. They throw me a curve ball.
Moral of the story is that you shouldn’t get too comfortable with what you’re doing because there’s always so much that you can be learning. Don’t just go through the motions of WAIP; challenge yourself and always strive to learn something new everyday.

 -Rachel Dailey

No comments:

Post a Comment