Thursday, February 2, 2017

An Old Friend, New Friends, and New Experiences

I knew I had to apply to WAIP when last semester, 3 out 4 of my classes in a single day had brought past students in to encourage students to apply. What I did not know is that one of my best friends, Michael, from high school was about to apply to a similar program at a different university.
 When I found out that Michael and I would be in Washington at the same time, I was thrilled in the moment. However, my excitement changed to a concern that I would rely too much on Michael being in town and not make friends with others in my cohort. I had fallen into a similar trap during my time at Kent State University and when I transferred to the Ohio State University.
 Surprising myself, I found it rather easy connecting to a handful of the other fellows in the cohort. I’m sure the others would agree when I say that the basement and first floor people have started a pretty great bond. We spend our nights watching reruns of “Chopped,” “Family Feud,” and sharing stories. We’ve even made it around the district with each other to explore places like Georgetown and try our first “Half Smoke” from Ben’s Chili Bowl.
 I’ve always considered myself to be introverted, but this program has really challenged me to be different. Not only has this made this experience more enjoyable, it will also help me professionally. The connections I make and the opportunities I take advantage of have the possibility to turn into something really meaningful down the road. 

I still see Michael at least once a week, but I feel as though I don’t have to in order to have an enjoyable time here. As I’ve told my friends and family, I feel as though I’ve been able to open up and am having the time of my life. I cannot wait for what awaits me in the weeks and months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment