Friday, February 3, 2017

The First Month- Tommy Sodeman

The first month has been a whirlwind of activity.  Being in DC during the Inauguration is a unique experience.  Watching the peaceful transition of power was a truly amazing experience.  Working in DC is another amazing experience.  Being able to do something other than classes and sight seeing is helping me decide what I want to do with my future and learning the ins and outs of a Senate office is really cool.  I never knew just how much work goes into being a Senator of the United States, nor did I realize that there are many more opportunities relating to policy.
Being present at the Women's March in DC was incredible.  I had never seen so many different people gathered together in one place.  The atmosphere of the march was friendly and full of energy, ready to fight for the next four years.  I spent most of the March with my coworkers and getting to know them better was really fun.
One of my favorite Study Tours so far was The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.  Mark was an amazing tour guide and his stories and insights made the tour really interesting.  Looking at all the history that has been accomplished was amazing and the seeing all the different kinds of air crafts was very interesting.  Seeing John Glenn's capsule from his space mission from 1962 was incredible. Being able to see something that has touched the stars and brought back stories to keep whole generations interested in learning more about the Universe was incredible.
Another Study Tour I found fascinating was the Smithsonian African American History Museum. They had so much history I did not know about.  There were so many more civil rights leaders I did not know existed and to really see that the fight for civil rights was never an off and on thing, it has been a continuous fight so that America can truly live up to the name sake of All Men Created Equal. There was so much history and knowledge that I did not know about that it was incredible to see it and to learn about it.
The first month has been an incredible experience and I am really looking forward to the next couple of months and seeing what DC has to offer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment