Friday, February 3, 2017

Please don't use my eyeliner.

I am very neat. I am a light sleeper. I love doing nothing. Throughout college, I actively worked to live with as few people as possible. My freshman year, I chose to live in a dorm very far away from campus because the room was a double with a private bathroom. Sophomore year, I refused to live in a house on campus and opted for a small two-bedroom apartment. In my sorority, Kappa Delta, I was approached by our council to run for president of our chapter. I said no. I said no because the thought of living with 40 girls sounded like a living nightmare.
            Not surprisingly, I was very anxious about starting WAIP. I knew that I would be living with sixteen people and sharing a room with three other girls. Que mental breakdown. In addition to my apprehension about sharing a living space with so many other people, I was also exhausted. This marked the fifth time that I moved this year. Though I often boast about my spontaneous nature and love of traveling, moving the fifth time took a toll on me. I needed to create an entirely new life, routine, existence for myself, again, for the fifth time this year.
            When I pulled up to the townhouse with my family, I was anxious to drop off all of my things as quickly as possible and drive away. I cooked up all sorts of shenanigans to avoid going back to the house. I took my family for a tour of DC, we went out to dinner, and I dragged out our time at Walmart until even the staff was nudging us out the door. After we unloaded the car, I considered sleeping at the hotel room with my family as to have one last night of silence and space.
            Thankfully, I decided to stay. Maybe I felt comfortable because my fantastic, wonderful roommates immediately welcomed me into their lives, maybe it was because my love for DC and excitement about WAIP had finally set in, or maybe it was because Katy has better matchmaking skills than eHarmony. Whatever the reason may be, I just know that I am insatiably happy. We ended up being the most compatible foursome imaginable. We wake up at the same time. We go to bed at the same time. We have the same standards of cleanliness. (And my personal favorite) we all shower at different times.

Basically, we’re soul roommates. Katy, you should sell your algorithm to a dating site, it’s worth billions.

-Elexa Diktas

No comments:

Post a Comment