Thursday, February 2, 2017

Women Marching, Women Painting

In preparation for my semester in Washington, I generated most of my excitement for the Women’s March that took place on January 21st. The March did not disappoint, however, I discovered an avenue to build upon that excitement further. 
One week after the Women’s March, I visited the National Museum for Women in the Arts. While this wasn’t necessarily planned, I think my experience at the museum gained meaning after witnessing hundreds of thousands of people gather for social change in the nation's capital.
The gallery at NMWA and the Women’s March share several common themes. NMWA’s collection includes art capturing women's diverse experiences as early as the 16th century, not unlike the March’s mission to encompass diverse and intersecting perspectives. From Harriet Goodhue Hosmer's Clasped Hands of Elizabeth and Robert Browning (1853) to Amy Sherald’s They Call Me Redbone but I’d Rather Be Strawberry Shortcake (2009), NMWA offers a variety of mediums and interpretations for viewers to discover commonalities and challenge perceptions.

Before arriving at NMWA, I was eager to see work by some of my favorite well-known artists like Annie Leibovitz and Frida Kahlo. As I walked through the vibrant gallery, my excitement grew as I newly discovered pieces from artists like Jiha Moon and Eulabee Dix. The gallery wasn’t overly crowded, so I took my time viewing and reflecting, finding beauty, strength, and empowerment in each piece. When I made my way out the door on to New York Avenue, my energy from the Women’s March had re-surged.

The Women’s March was a powerful form of expression, just like the paintings, sculptures, and photos at NMWA. At both the Women's March and NMWA, I was inspired by the passion, vulnerability, and resiliency of my past and present communities. Viewing a multitude of interpreted experiences in the gallery empowered my own expressions and understandings. 
My afternoon at the National Museum for Women in the Arts re-invigorated the hopefulness I experienced on January 21st, and I would certainly recommend a visit to the gallery for anyone seeking the same.

Keely Veatch

No comments:

Post a Comment