Friday, February 3, 2017

Daddy’s Little Protester - Beth Fry

When I moved to Washington on January 7, I had never taken part in any kind of protest. While I understood their merits, there was always something inside me that kept me from participating. My excuses ranged from “I’ll trust the political process” to “I just don’t have the time.” As of today, I have participated in two marches/protests and plan to engage in many more.

My first introduction to this kind of civic engagement came with the Women’s March on Washington, which occurred the day after President Trump’s inauguration. I joined half a million people donned in pink hats on the National Mall, and felt the energy of the crowd. There’s a certain kind of high you get from being surrounded by that many passionate people. I walked backed home hopeful about the future and ready to take action. I felt like my voice was heard.

The first few weeks of the Trump administration have been rather tumultuous as the president signs numerous unpopular executive orders. When told I’d be living in DC during an “exciting time,” I’d never imagined it’d be like this. Washingtonians are now accepting the weekly influx of marchers and protesters as “the new normal.” On any given weekend the Mall and Capitol Hill could be filled with people peacefully gathering and utilizing their political voice.

This past weekend I even joined a protest unintentionally. On a walk through the neighborhood, I encountered a large protest heading down Constitution Avenue and up towards the Capitol (the exact direction I needed to head home). I continued on my way and was slowly absorbed in the crowd protesting the immigration ban targeting majority Muslim countries. I hung around once they reached the east plaza of the Capitol, taking pictures and reveling in the experience. Much like the Women’s March, I felt hopeful as I stood amongst these people.


I FaceTimed my parents afterwards and they greeted me with “there’s our little protester.” That is a title I am more than happy to accept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment