Thursday, April 20, 2017

Bigger on the Inside

Between this post and my first post, so much has happened.  Great, big moments and flurries of activities condensed into a roughly three-month period.  It sounds impossible, almost like WAIP is bigger on the inside.  On the outside is a humble, little program meant to introduce Glenn Fellows to the 'real world'.  The inside, however, is much bigger and a much better adventure than I could have hoped for.  From exploring the halls of the Pentagon to touring Philadelphia up until seeing Fredrick Douglas's home in DC, WAIP has always been full of fun and activity.  My experiences in Washington have been incredible.  I've been able to work in the halls of the Senate during the first 100 days.  I witnessed and experienced the outrage of citizens regarding Cabinet nominees (Betsy DeVos for anyone wondering who we got the most calls about), the rise and fall of the American Health Care Act, and the fight over Neil Gorusch for the Supreme Court.  Becoming entrenched in politics has been a fun experience (which sounds weird) and it has helped me become more aware of state politics.  This has also forced me to become more knowledgeable on policy and I was able to become more knowledgeable on policy I enjoy crafting.
WAIP was an amazing experience.  It helped me develop several skills and begin creating a network of people.  I am looking forward to sharing my experience in the future.  And to anyone who does WAIP in the future, good luck and enjoy your time in Washington!
Tommy Sodeman 

No comments:

Post a Comment