Friday, April 21, 2017

Let's Go Jackets!

           As many people do, I fell pretty in love with D.C. when I moved here. My friends and I would talk about our favorite places to eat, bicker about which metro line was fastest, and be totally immersed in what people call the “D.C. bubble” and shamelessly loving every minute of it; pretending to be a native Washingtonian was what we did best. But sometimes, representing the great state of Ohio is the way to go.
            My friends and I bought tickets to a Washington Capitals hockey game when they played the Columbus Blue Jackets. We were sitting approximately ten rows down from the very top seats in the Verizon Center, and we were the only CBJ fans in our entire area. We were all decked out in CBJ gear and sitting in enemy territory, so of course being the loudest, most obnoxious fans in the entire arena was a top priority. During the Caps cheers, all eight of us would scream at the top of our lungs “let’s go jackets” to fill in all of the quiet gaps in their chants – I don’t think I’ll ever forget the death glares we received and the sound of the entire surrounding crowd booing at us to stop. People from the D.C. area are generally pretty nice, but we did a great job of eliciting their hostility, thanks to our overzealous cheers.

            The Blue Jackets ended up loosing that game in a shoot out at the very end, but being the loudest and proudest CBJ fans in the entire city made the experience absolutely worth it. I’ll gladly represent my city, Columbus, any day, so go Bucks and go Jackets!

No comments:

Post a Comment