Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Stand Right, Walk Left

As my time in DC is coming to an end, I’m taking some moments to reflect on the past four months and the important things I’ve learned. I arrived in Washington during the final days of the Obama administration, unsure of what the next for years would bring. It was also the start of my final semester as an Ohio State student, though I would spend it 400 miles from Columbus. Today, I can say I survived living 2 miles from the White House during the first 100 days of the Trump presidency. In few short weeks, I will be an alumna of The Ohio State University. Things have come full circle it appears, but not without learning a few things. I thought I’d share some of them with you.

Moving Away is Important
When I arrived in DC, I had essentially packed up my life and moved hundreds of miles from my support system. My parents were in Cleveland, my friends were in Columbus, and I felt alone in a new city that couldn’t deal with snow. It was like I was a college freshman again, clumsily navigating my through this new normal. The first few weeks were hard. I had grown so comfortable with my life at Ohio State I had forgotten what this type of uncertainty felt like. But after starting my internship, connecting with my roommates, and exploring the District, I felt more at home. I learned a lot about myself and how to navigate the world outside the bubbles I created. Great experiences exist outside comfort zones.

Work-Life Balance is a Real Thing
Growing up, I often witnessed the adults in my life working long hours in jobs that didn’t seem to value their outside life. They consistently seemed worn out and tired, and it made me apprehensive about starting a career. Interning with the Partnership for Public Service has taught me, however, that there are workplaces that care about your life outside of the office. The Partnership offers brown bags with board members, meditation hours, and mentoring for younger employees. As an intern, I was discouraged from having access to my work email on my phone and taking tasks home. The Partnership has been rated as one of the “Best Places to Work in DC” multiple times, and it’s easy to see why. Maybe it's because I'm a #millennial, but no job is worth your sanity. 

Be a Conscientious Tourist

Ask my parents and they’ll tell you one of my consistent complaints was about the tourists. Whether it’s a group of middle schoolers on a class trip or an unassuming family on vacation, there’s just something about their fanny backs and “I heart DC” shirts that has made this beautiful spring a little frustrating. Perhaps it’s the fact that a stroller almost knocked me into the Tidal Basin or that I almost missed my train because they were standing in front of the Metro turnstile rummaging for their SmartTrip card during the height of rush hour. Either way, it’s taught me to be a conscientious tourist/traveler. Gaze at the beautiful buildings, but don’t block the sidewalk. Remember this is a city where people actually live and work. And if there’s anything you remember from this post, it’s this: on the Metro, STAND RIGHT WALK LEFT. Repeat after me: STAND RIGHT WALK LEFT. Be aware of your surroundings, not just for your own safety but for the sanity of the locals around you. 

-Beth Fry 

No comments:

Post a Comment