Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Best of the Beltway



In my time inside the Beltway so far, I have managed to see many monuments both day and night and have never been unimpressed with our Capitol. But this weekend when a friend from home came to visit, I saw the city from a whole new perspective--on wheels. My two friends and I began our journey from the Georgetown University and for $20 for three hours of biking I had one of my most memorable fall DC experiences to date.

We biked through the back roads of Georgetown and meandered our way down the National Mall, all the way up to Capitol Hill. We conveniently began our ride at sunset, and I have never witnessed the monuments in such splendor before. The experience was surreal, the photos resemble postcards, and the memories are ingrained forever. We paused to reflect on each monument and snap pictures by the Ohio section of the WWII Memorial, and a mother who agreed to take our picture asked where we were from and said "Enjoy college, and learn everything you can, you are our nation's future." Profound words from a tourist, yet utterly true. This mother's advice reiterates the potential that we have, as students.

Being in DC has made me realize the perpetual nature of learning. This internship, this experience is one chapter in our lives and will help shape us into the citizens we aim to be, but it is important to never stop learning. While DC, and our nation, both have rich histories, we must utilize our history to create our future. JFK once said in a speech at the University of Wyoming:

"I hope that all of you who are students here will recognize the great opportunity that lies before you in this decade, and in the decades to come, to be of service to our country. The Greeks once defined happiness as full use of your powers along lines of excellence, and I can assure you that there is no area of life where you will have an opportunity to use whatever powers you have, and to use them along more excellent lines, bringing ultimately, I think, happiness to you and those whom you serve."

In my opinion, there has never been a better time to be a student, and I hope that as we move on from the WAIP program we never forget our time in the Beltway and keep in touch as we move beyond it.



-AMC

No comments:

Post a Comment