Sunday, November 27, 2011

DC in four hours: My walk from the Congressional Apartment Building to Arlington Cemetery

…That’s right. Seeing as how this is our last weekend in DC, I decided I would go for a walk to check out some of the sites since I’ll be in work for the rest of the week as saw this as my last opportunity. I figured I would walk at least to the Mall and the Washington Monument so I left with that plan in mind.

I made my way to the Supreme Court, Library of Congress, and the Capitol Building before starting to walk on the Mall towards the Lincoln Memorial. I stopped in the Smithsonian Information Center in the Castle before heading out to the Washington Monument. Following this, I stopped off at the WWII Memorial in its glory. After the World War II Memorial, I decided that I would also see the newly renovated DC War Memorial, honoring those citizens of DC who served in the Great War. It recently reopened on the 10th and I must say that it turned out great! Having done work with the SurvivorQuest Foundation, I know that Frank Buckles (the last American WWI vet) would be proud of the current memorial, having campaigned and advocated in his later years for the renovation of the war memorial.

From the DC War Memorial, I made my way to the MLK Memorial. Having been to the memorial one other occasion earlier in the quarter, I took more time to stroll throughout, reading some of the quotations etched in stone which helped to define the Civil Rights cause. As I gazed across the Tidal Basin I saw the Jefferson Memorial in the distance and figured that I would make my way over there as well. I walked on the right side of the Basin and stopped by the FDR Memorial along the way. I crossed over the bridge and arrived at the Jefferson Memorial where I had a great view of the Basin. From there, I departed and began walking along a sidewalk next to the Potomac River, stretching from 395 to the Arlington Memorial Bridge. I had never been over this way before and it was a great view!

As I neared the Lincoln Memorial I could see that traffic was getting heavier close to the bridge. I made my way up, passed the Arlington Bridge Equestrian Statues, and decided “why not, let’s go to Arlington.” Crossing over the bridge, at least seven planes flew over ahead on their way to Reagan International Airport. Once I arrived on the other side, I decided to make my way on up to the cemetery. It was a little past 4pm, so I knew I had enough time to check out some of the sites before the place closed at 5. I made my up to Arlington House, the former home of Confederate General Robert E. Lee where I looked back at the city trying to figure out how I had walked all that way. I decided that I might be better off taking the Metro back…

Arlington House was open and I got to walk around in the home of the former Confederate general. Much of the displays were taken down as a result of the earthquake and not nearly as much was displayed as I remembered in my previous visits. Following this, I made my way to the Tomb of the Unknowns one last time to catch a changing of the guards. After this, I walked to the gravesite of Frank Buckles, and paid my respects for a final time. I was surprised to see that the wreaths from Veterans Day were still in great condition and displayed! It was now 5pm and the cemetery would be shutting down. I took the long route back, walking in dusk amongst some of the nation’s finest fighting soldiers – great way to end the day.

All in all, I stopped by the Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Capitol Building, the Mall, Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, DC WWI Memorial, MLK Memorial, FDR Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, scenic walkway along the Potomac River, Lincoln Memorial, Arlington Cemetery, Arlington House, and Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers – busy day! Didn’t think I’d be doing a marathon!

KN –


















No comments:

Post a Comment