Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankful

This Thanksgiving, a good family friend of mine that I grew up with left for Iraq. He joined the Marines last year and has been preparing for his trip since. I also got a chance to exchange messages with a close friend from high school who is currently stationed in Afghanistan. My grandfather also told us more about the B-24 he flew in World War II and his experience serving our country. I am so proud of these men and all the others I'll never know as intimately. (The following pictures are some of favorite from the WWII memorial. The stars are a reminder of how many gave their lives, the latter is a quote that more eloquently says we cannot ever thank you enough for serving.)




I am not sure yet how to express gratitude I feel for men and women that willingly give years of their life to serve our country in that way. I don't think speech is necessarily the way I plan to show my thanks. Rather, I will continue to fight for freedom and human rights here and around the globe. I hope that all Americans, whether those who are committed to military service or civilians in America or abroad, will take seriously the freedom we have been given and continue to demand that all people experience freedom and basic human rights.

Thank you.

-GD

No comments:

Post a Comment