Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Where everybody knows your name....


My first Thursday in D.C. I was very disappointed when I received my bar tab.  I am not accustomed to paying $5.00 + for an adult beverage.  Being a member of a handful of social clubs back home, I made it my quest to locate one that was in close proximity to the Congressional.  Much to my enjoyment I found the Kenneth H. Nash American Legion Post #8 on the corner of 3rd and D.  This Legion post has to be the most hospitable in the country. 

Most veterans’ clubs make my generation feel unwelcomed.   This has not been the case at the Kenneth H. Nash American Legion Post #8.  On the first day I showed up, all the vets at the bar wanted to know where I was from and what I was doing here.  The bartenders made it a point to remember my name.  It is always fun and sometimes humbling to share stories, and of course my generation has it way to easy.  Even though I was a visiting legionnaire, I was often times greeted with a smile as if they had known for years.  There was great camaraderie.  Everyone was quick to invite back for different events such as Veterans’ Day and Thanksgiving.   In fact, every day I show up I am asked by Denny, “Where’ve you been?”

It has been a fun place to grab a beverage of choice after work, watch the World Series with Denny, and of course catch the Chicago Bears on MNF (because Perk would bring in food for all to enjoy).   Even if you are not a legionnaire, I highly recommend you show up because someone will more than likely sponsor you as their guest….just don’t play music during the World Series.
AA

No comments:

Post a Comment