Saturday, November 12, 2011

Veterans Day 2011



I can honestly say that Veterans Day 2011 will be remembered as one of the best veterans’ events I’ve attended thus far.

of my many veteran associate contacts, who works for a national veterans association, invited me to the ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery, specifically those held annually at the amphitheatre near the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. My contact provided me with a ticket for the event, designated for the front section so I knew that I would have a great view.

I arrived at the amphitheatre a little after 9am and found a seat in the 5th row right next to “Pershing’s Own” U.S. Army band with a great view of the podium on stage roughly 40 ft away. I got a copy of the program which listed President Obama to be in attendance for the ceremonies to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and give a speech.

In the meantime, I talked with a few veterans and family members sitting around me, one of which was from, of all places, Ohio State. Howitzer fire could be heard in the distance, marking the President’s arrival to Arlington. Following this 21-gun salute, the “Pershing’s Own” band commenced, playing a series of military songs. At that time, numerous military leaders began pouring in to the surrounding box seats encompassing the amphitheatre.

 


As I glanced up to the box seats, I noticed quite a few familiar faces from the DoD: Secretary of Defense, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Secretary of the Army, Secretary of the Air Force, Vice-Chief of the Army, Vice Chief of Naval Operations, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps General, Vice Chief of the Air Force, Commandant of the Coast Guard, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, Sergeant Major of the Army, and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard.

It was funny in a sense to see the some of the senior-most military leaders and counting how many I had one-on-one meetings, or lunches, with at the Pentagon. (This week I had met the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard on Wednesday and had lunch with the Vice Chief of the Army on Tuesday).




Once the military officials arrived, the First Lady and President arrived, waving to the crowd before taking a seat. Secretary of Veterans Affairs, and retired four-star General and former Chief of the Army, Eric Shinseki first spoke then introduced the President. Being only ~40ft. away from the President, I had one of the best seats and thought he gave a good speech which lasted nearly 15-20 minutes.

Following the President’s speech, the crowd retired to observe the various veteran organizations each lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I met up with my vet contact and was introduced to the some of the leaders of his group, the BVA (Blinded Veterans Association). I found a good spot near the right of the Tomb and served as one of the photographers for the BVA, during the time they laid a wreath at the Tomb (having done photography work for some of their previous newsletters).

I must have made some sort of impression as I was invited to attend the National Veterans Day Reception in Crystal City, featuring the Presidents, Chairmen, and Directors of the various national veterans associations and as well as numerous veterans (both American and foreign). I gladly accepted and made my way to the reception, following the numerous wreath layings. I arrived at the reception to find a few hundred military personnel, both active and retired throughout the crowds as well as the leaders of all the national veteran organizations.

Later on, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, and retired four-star General and former Chief of the Army, Eric Shinseki arrived and gave a speech to the audience before going around the room and meeting some of the vets, in which I managed to talk with Secretary Shinseki.
Once the reception was over, I decided to head back to Arlington to pay my respects to the last American WWI veteran and my good friend, Frank Buckles, who passed away this February at the age of 110. I knew that photographer David DeJonge would be present as he contacted me earlier in the week explaining there would be a small ceremony for Mr. Buckles later in the afternoon. I arrived at Arlington and made my way to Mr. Buckles plot off Pershing Drive and found DeJonege, Mr. Buckles’ daughter, and various military officers and photographers. I met up with DeJonge who has since founded SurvivorQuest, a non-profit organization aimed towards remembering the last WWI veterans and advocating for a national WWI memorial, in which I serve as a “WWI Consultant.”I spoke with DeJonge about my work at the DoD and some of my recent advances with WWI-affairs as I still assist him with various veteran projects. Likewise, I spoke with Mr. Buckles’ daughter who remembered me from the 2008 Pentagon ceremony. Following the brief meeting, DeJonge and the group took off to catch their evening flight. I decided to stick around in Arlington and made my way to the Tomb of the Unknowns to watch the last Changing of the Guard before the Arlington closed.


I arrived at the Tomb half expecting to see a sparse group due to the cold but found 200+ people gathered around, including a group of Honor Flight WWII veterans, some bundled up with American-flag blankets in their wheelchairs. I managed to see another wreath lying before the Changing of the Guard, presented by some of the WWII veterans. Following the last Changing of the Guard, the group made its way back to the buses on the opposite side of the amphitheatre. I saw the flag, which had been flown at half-staff, taken down for the evening. I boarded one of the buses which dropped us off at the Visitor Center.
All in all, superb ceremonies. By far the best Veterans Day event I’ve attended thus far. It always reminds me to appreciate the freedoms we have in this country, due to these veterans’ heroic selfless actions.


“All gave some, some gave all.”


KN

No comments:

Post a Comment